Glass bottles are real all-rounders when it comes to packaging. Almost all liquids can be stored and transported in it, protected from air. Glass has the great advantage that it does not react with its filling. This makes it odorless and tasteless. It is also much more environmentally friendly than plastic and has a long service life.
In our glass bottle test 2021, we compared different glass bottles with each other. We will inform you about different designs and the right closure. We have also put together the most important advantages and disadvantages of plastic and glass bottles so that it will be easier for you to make a purchase decision.
The essentials in brief
- Glass bottles come in many different shapes, colors and sizes. They also differ in the closure.
- Bottles and made of glass are ideal for storing liquids airtight. Therefore, they are perfect for canning or for homemade oils, juices and wines.
- In contrast to plastic bottles, glass bottles can be used several times. Therefore, they are much more environmentally friendly and reduce CO2 emissions.
Glass bottles comparison: reviews and recommendations
With the large selection of glass bottles, it is easy to lose track of things. We, therefore, compared different models and collected our favorites. With the following recommendations, you will quickly find the right glass bottle and avoid bad purchases.
- The glass bottle with the best price-performance ratio
- The best glass bottle for the soda maker
- The best large glass drinking bottle with a protective cover
- The best glass tea bottle with a strainer insert
- The best glass bottle with a swing top
- The best glass bottle with a fruit insert
The glass bottle with the best price-performance ratio
Cleaning is very easy thanks to the matching cleaning brushes. In addition, the bottle looks very nice thanks to the neoprene bag. It is available in the colors black, light gray, mint green, pink, purple, sapphire, wine red and blue.
Editor’s rating: If you are looking for a decorative and functional glass bottle, this model is perfect for you. The low price will convince you!
The best glass bottle for the soda maker
The DuoPack from SodaStream contains 2 glass bottles with a capacity of 0.615 liters each. Are compatible with the Crystal and Pinguin water bubbler and weigh 1.4 kg.
The stylish carafes guarantee unique freshness and pure quality of your drinks. They are also dishwasher safe and so easy to clean.
Editor’s rating: If you have a soda stream Crystal or Pinguin and are looking for new bottles, you should not miss this offer.
The best large glass drinking bottle with a protective cover
The glass bottles from Spottle have a volume of 1 liter. It has a screw cap and a matching protective cover. It is made of pollutant-free material and is also suitable for carbonated drinks.
The neoprene cover provides a better feel and makes it ideal for on the go. It is closed drip-proof with a precisely fitting lid and is also suitable for sports and children. To clean, simply remove the lid and the neoprene cover and wash the bottle in the dishwasher or by hand as you wish.
Editor’s rating: This glass bottle is made of very high quality material and can therefore be used for a long time. Due to its large capacity, it is also great for longer trips.
The best glass tea bottle with a strainer insert
The Navaris tea bottle is 30 x 11.8 x 11.7 cm in size and weighs 699 grams. It is made of double-walled borosilicate glass and has a capacity of 500 ml. It is supplied with a gray silicone cover and a strainer insert.
The bottle is very stylish and can be printed with a motif if you wish. In addition, the lid made of bamboo wood is a beautiful design highlight. In addition, it is very temperature-resistant (hot / cold) and can be easily transported thanks to the neoprene protective cover supplied. The modern tea mug is not only suitable for consuming tea, but also for coffee, ginger or lemon water.
Editor’s rating: All liquids can be transported with this tea bottle in an environmentally friendly way without paper cups. If you want to keep your drinks cold or warm for a long time, you will surely like this glass bottle.
The best glass bottle with a swing top
The set of Viva housewares contains 2 bottles with swing top. The closure is made of porcelain and is closed with a rubber ring. The bottles hold 1000 ml each and weigh 1.4 kilograms together. They are delivered with a white funnel (diameter of 12 cm).
The glass bottles can be used as a water bottle, juice bottle, milk bottle, oil bottle, liqueur bottle, for self-made and much more. The material is of high quality and heat-resistant up to 100 degrees. This means that they can also be cleaned in the dishwasher.
Editor’s rating: These bottles are ideal for home-made items in particular. In this way, self-prepared oils, juices or liqueurs can be beautifully wrapped as gifts.
The best glass bottle with a fruit insert
This 1 liter drinking bottle from Sunkey has a fruit container and a bamboo lid. In addition, the manufacturer also supplies a BPA-free neoprene cover.
The high quality bottle is suitable for both cold and warm drinks. It can withstand temperatures of -20 to 120 degrees, so you can easily fill it with ice or hot water. The glass bottle is perfect for tea with loose leaves, fruit infusions, organic coffee, cocoa or flavored water.
Editor’s rating: If you’re looking for a durable, high-quality glass bottle, this bottle is perfect for you. It even gives you the opportunity to refine your drink with different ingredients in the sieve.
Glass bottles: purchase and evaluation criteria
- Size / capacity
- Lid / closure
Glass bottles come in many different shapes, colors and sizes. Some even have special properties. In the following sections we have summarized the most important purchase criteria so that you know what is important when buying a glass bottle.
Size / capacity
Glass bottles come in many different sizes. Depending on what you want to fill in it and for what purpose you use it, a different size is suitable.
For example, wines are usually bottled in 0.75 liter bottles. Simple wines are often also available in 1 liter bottles. Each bottle size has a very specific name. In the following we have summarized the most common sizes by name:
|Normal bottle||0.75 / 1.0 liters|
|Jeroboam||4.5 to 5.0 liters|
There are also different sizes of glass bottles that can hold up to 20 liters. There is also a specific name for each of these.
Did you know that the largest wine bottle in the world is 3.4 meters high?
At the end of 2016, what is probably the largest glass bottle in the world was filled with 1590 liters of red wine at the “Nobel Chinese” Engel Wang Fu in Lustenau. It weighs 1,170 kilograms and costs around 43,000 euros.
Lid / closure
What is the value of a bottle without the right bottle cap? Not very much. The contents of the bottle can only be closed securely and permanently with the right lid. There are many different types of closures that differ in size, design and shape.
Screw cap / hand screw connection
The screw cap is probably the best-known and most frequently used closure. You know it from juice or wine bottles. It can be removed from the neck of the bottle by turning. It is available in many different materials such as aluminum or plastic. Some screw caps are even clad with wood and therefore look particularly high-quality. This is often found on glass drinking bottles.
The twist-off closure is available in both plastic and metal. It is mainly used for milk glass bottles and preserving jars that have to be sealed airtight. It is characterized by the fact that it does not have a continuous thread. Instead, the twist-off lid has small cams that fit into the bridge of the jar. Perhaps you have already heard the typical pop sound when opening the door.
Swing-top bottles have a cork with a rubber seal attached to the bottle. They are decorative and easy to open. In addition, they are resealable and durable. They are therefore well suited for everyday life and for canning various homemade delicacies.
Corks / stoppers
There are many different materials for corks and stoppers. You probably know the original natural cork cork from wine bottles. Nowadays, however, there are also corks made of plastic, wood or glass.
In addition to the cork, some bottles use a shrink capsule. These not only look beautiful, they also seal the bottle. In this way, the content can be enjoyed longer.
Crown caps are mainly used for beer bottles because they can withstand the high pressure of carbon dioxide. In addition, they do not give off any taste to the drink.
Did you know that a bottle cap has 21 points?
The original crown cap still had 24 points, because the bottle necks were even wider at that time. Ultimately, however, an odd number turned out to be more suitable for machine sealing. The 21-point crown cap does not tilt.
Glass bottles come in many different designs. Some of them are very elaborate and noble, others rather simple and practical. There are no limits to creativity when it comes to bottle design.
- Shape: Glass can be poured into many shapes: For example, square, round or oval. Wine bottles are very simply shaped and have a woven bottom. Liquor bottles, on the other hand, are often found in more unusual shapes. Expensive liqueurs are often bottled in decorative or motif bottles with elaborate shapes. This makes the drink look much more valuable.
- Color: In addition to the well-known white glass bottles, there are also models in all imaginable colors. The following colors are most commonly found:
- Most bottles or jars are made of clear or white glass . This can be made from a mixture of sand, soda and lime.
- Bottles made of amber glass, such as beer bottles, are less translucent than white glass and filter UV radiation. This is why brown bottles are well suited for medical products.
- Green glass filters part of the incident UV light, but not as much as brown glass . This protects the liquid and makes it last longer.
- Antique glass is a mixture of brown and green glass that offers a high sun protection factor. Therefore, oils or juices are often bottled in it. The color varies slightly, depending on the proportion of brown and green glass.
- Blue glass bottles are less common in everyday life. Blue glass is used, for example, for water bottles and cosmetic containers. Blue glass is particularly decorative and still ensures that the contents are protected from light.
Some glass bottles have additional functions. These not only enable liquids to be filled, they also offer additional added value.
We have summarized interesting additional functions in an overview:
- Glass bottles with double wall: These double-walled bottles are particularly suitable for keeping drinks hot or cold for a longer period of time. They are the perfect container for tea or coffee.
- Glass bottles with a fruit insert: For example, to refine water with fruit, a bottle with a fruit insert is suitable. In this way, the fruits give off the taste to the water, but are not swallowed when drinking.
- Glass bottles with insulation: You can buy some glass bottles with suitable silicone or neoprene insulation. This completely or partially encloses the glass body. This protects the bottle from heat and cold and does not break easily. Therefore, glass bottles with insulation are also suitable for on the go.
- Glass bottles for sparkling water: There are different machines for adding carbonic acid to water in a glass bottle. The soda stream is very well known. Special glass bottles are inserted into the machine for this and turn tap water into soda water in a few seconds. Not all glass bottles are compatible.
- Glass bottle with loop or handle: These glass bottles are provided with a handle or a loop. For example, they can be worn around the neck and transported more easily.
Glass Bottles: Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Would you like to know what types of glass bottles there are, what properties they have and which type is best for you? All important questions have been answered in our FAQ.
We’ll tell you who glass bottles are suitable for, where you can buy them and what they cost. We have also put together nice ideas for DIYs. An old gas bottle can quickly become an eye-catcher.
Who are glass bottles suitable for?
Glass bottles are versatile. Therefore, they are basically suitable for everyone. They are particularly useful if the contents of the bottle should not take on any taste. Due to their comparatively high weight and the risk of breaking, they are particularly suitable for use at home.
Are glass bottles suitable for babies and children?
Baby bottles made of glass and plastic can be found on the market. But which one is better for kids?
Glass bottles do not release chemicals into the drink. Therefore, glass is an ideal choice for a baby’s first few weeks of life. Especially if the child was born prematurely or is sensitive.
However, as soon as the child gets older and wants to hold the bottle themselves, we recommend a plastic bottle. The big advantage of these bottles is that they are much lighter and won’t break. So your child is not exposed to any danger.
Are glass bottles suitable for sports and on the go?
Admittedly, bottles made of glass are heavier than bottles made of PET and are therefore not easy to transport. Nevertheless, they are much more environmentally friendly and healthier.
A light, not too large glass bottle is recommended for on the go.
The contents are protected from heat and cold by an insulating jacket. In addition, the padding makes the bottle less likely to break.
You can even wear some models with a loop or carry them comfortably by the hand. This means that you do not need to take a bag with you and you are still supplied with sufficient fluids.
We advise you to fill larger amounts of water in several small bottles. This makes everything easier to stow and transport.
What types of glass bottles are there?
There are many different types of glass bottles. Basically, one can distinguish between two different types. We have shown these in the table below.
|Type||Properties and use|
|Simple glass bottle||Simple glass bottles are particularly suitable for filling home-made items and making them durable. They are also good for wines, juices, spirits, and beer. They come in many different shapes and colors and with many different closures.|
|Glass drinking bottle||Glass drinking bottles are primarily intended for on the go. Usually a silicone or neoprene cover is included with the purchase to protect the bottle. In addition, they are usually closed with a screw cap made of wood, stainless steel or aluminum|
You can answer the following questions which model is best for you:
- How much liquid should fit in the bottle? What is my fluid requirement?
- For what purpose do I want to use the bottle? Do I want to be able to take the bottle with me?
- Should the bottle only be functional or should it also be beautiful?
- Do I want additional functions? Should it be insulated, double-walled or with a bracket?
- Do I want to use it for my soda maker?
What does a glass bottle cost?
In the long term, even an expensive glass drinking bottle is cheaper than constantly buying and throwing away PET bottles. Nevertheless, the price is usually decisive when buying.
In the table below we have compiled the average cost of simple glass bottles.
|Glass bottle 250ml||about 0.50 to 1.00 euros|
|Glass bottle 500ml||about 0.50 to 1.00 euros|
|Glass bottle 750ml||approx. 0.50 to 1.00 euros|
|Glass bottle 1 l||about 0.50 to 1.00 euros|
|Glass bottle 1.5 l||about 0.50 to 1.00 euros|
|Glass drinking bottle||around 10 to 25 euros|
|Glass drinking bottle with insulation||around 15 to 35 euros|
The more glass bottles you buy at the same time, the cheaper they get. This is due to the volume discount that many manufacturers give.
Where can I buy glass bottles?
You can buy glass bottles in many stores and online shops these days. The following providers have a large selection of different bottles and a good price-performance ratio:
- Bottle maker
- Bottle country
You can read details about individual models on the respective websites. So you can easily find the right glass bottle for you.
What are the alternatives to glass bottles?
Plastic bottles can be used as an alternative to glass bottles. Just like bottles made of glass, these offer advantages and disadvantages.
Plastic bottles are particularly good for on the go because they are lighter and cannot break. They are also recommended for children for the same reasons.
Supermarkets such as ALDI and LIDL, which have a market share of over 50 percent in the largest beverage segment, mineral water, only offer mineral water in non-returnable bottles.
What are the advantages of glass bottles?
Light, unbreakable and inexpensive: the plastic bottle seems to be the perfect alternative to the glass bottle. But there are a few reasons why it is worthwhile to reach for the glass bottle more often.
A glass bottle has the following advantages compared to a PET bottle:
- Glass is tasteless : it does not absorb any odors and does not give off any taste to liquids. That is why it is also used for high-quality spirits and liqueurs. But even with water and juice, glass often makes a significant difference.
- Glass does not contain plasticizers : Many consumers pay attention to hygienic packaging made of glass, because some plastic bottles release hormonally active substances and plasticizers into the drink.
- Glass is heat-resistant : With suitable juice bottles and wide-neck bottles made of glass, you can even fill homemade things, such as sauces or ketchup, hot and store them afterwards.
- Glass is versatile : it can take many different shapes. As a result, a bottle can quickly become much more than just a commodity. Beautiful glass bottles are a real eye-catcher and can be transformed into lamps or vases in a few simple steps.
- Glass is more environmentally friendly than plastic: the use of glass bottles reduces CO2 emissions. It is best for the environment if you fill homemade glass bottles and reuse them.
- Glass looks high quality : A high quality bottle conveys the quality of the filled product. As a result, just opening it makes you want more. High-quality liquids such as good syrup, expensive liqueurs and exquisite cooking oils are therefore in good hands in beautiful glass bottles.
Food-safe, diverse, high-quality and with real added value: glass bottles have numerous advantages. Both bought and homemade drinks often taste much better in it.
How do I properly dispose of a glass bottle?
Glass bottles should not simply be thrown into the household waste. Instead, there are special waste glass containers in which glass bottles are disposed of. There is sure to be one in your home country too!
When throwing it into the container, you should sort the glass by color. Because for a successful recycling it is important that the glass is sorted according to type. This means that you have to separate according to the following criteria when disposing:
- Glass type
- Glass color
- Foreign matter
If you separate glass correctly, it can be melted down and processed. This is how you can help protect the environment.
How do I properly clean a glass bottle?
In the brewery sector, spray systems with hot water or cleaning agents are mostly used. This can prevent accidental contamination of the new product.
The narrow neck of a bottle makes cleaning difficult. In the household and in the laboratory, reusable bottles therefore often have to be washed by hand. There is a wide range of bottle brushes for this purpose . These are shaped to fit through the narrow neck of the bottle. On the other hand, they help to clean the entire interior of the bottle – especially the interior wall of the bottle. Bottles can usually be cleaned with detergent and water.
Most glass bottles are dishwasher safe compared to plastic bottles. You can simply put it in the dishwasher without a lid and watch it with the rest of your kitchen utensils. Bacteria and germs die from the heat.
If you don’t have a brush, here’s a trick you should try with rice :
- Put two to three tablespoons of rice in the dirty bottle. Then close the bottle without water and give it a good shake. This allows the granules to mechanically clean the surface.
- Then add some water and shake vigorously again. In particularly stubborn cases, you should repeat the process.
- Finally, rinse the bottle with clear water – done!
Can glass bottles be frozen?
If you want to freeze liquid or semi-liquid food in a bottle, it is important not to close the jar completely. There should be a little space between the contents and the lid. This will prevent the glass from bursting when the frozen liquids expand.
The best thing to do is to simply put the bottle upright in the freezer and leave it open. So you run no risk.
How can I recycle a glass bottle? Nice DIY ideas for upcycling glass bottles.
You can make beautiful decorative items from old, no longer used glass bottles. For example, you can paint, print, decorate, individualize or plant them. They can also look beautiful as lamps or vases and give the room a Vitage look.
You only need a few materials and tools to make a bottle lamp. You can use it to create a vintage-look lamp from an old bottle in a short time. The internet offers many exciting ideas.
How can I edit a glass bottle?
To reshape a glass bottle, it often has to be cut or deformed. Holes are also often needed for suspensions. In the following we explain how this works.
Drill glass bottles
Glass bottles can only be processed with a special glass drill. A metal or masonry drill would create too much friction and therefore overheat. For example, a diamond drill is well suited.
Cut glass bottles
There are various methods of cutting glass bottles:
- Cut the glass bottle with a glass cutter
- Cut glass bottle with thread and fire
Glass bottles are the perfect alternative to plastic bottles. They are durable and also environmentally friendly. Whether for at home or on the go – there is a suitable glass bottle for every occasion. With a fruit insert for tea, with a swing-top or the simple version with a screw top. You decide which glass bottle suits you.
Get creative and conjure up your own delicious juices, oils, sauces, and wines. Or turn your old glass bottles into beautiful accessories in just a few simple steps. Nicely packaged, they make a wonderful gift with an individual touch.